Sunday 27 October 2013

Adventure 11: Pear-fect! (26.09.13)

Good afternoon all!

Hope you've enjoyed the extra hour of sleep today! Have had a crazy, busy week full of interview preparation (didn't get the job, but realized that I didn't want it either and that I'm more than happy to stay with the lovely people at the College for the rest of the year), reports and meetings.

I have managed, nonetheless, to find some time for my hobby and on the whole have had a good week with it.



I'll start with the negatives so that I can work up to the positives.

Negative #1: I am too late to make ash pickle. All of the ash keys are brown and manky. Alas, I will have to wait another year to make this!

Negative #2: I don't care what Richard Mabey or the authors of Wild Jams and Jellies say, but SNOWBERRIES are disgusting and quite possibly poisonous. I have seen a tonne of them about and wanted to try the recipes I've seen out of curiosity. I picked a load yesterday on the way back from the Double Locks Pub, Exeter (http://www.doublelocks.com/\) and tried to make the jelly which is described in this book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wildjams-Jellies-Delicious-Recipes-Edibles/dp/0811732479/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1382886917&sr=8-3&keywords=wild+jams+and+jellies) but found it deadly bitter and most unpalatable. I was already a bit put off by its whiteness (it is also known as a ghostberry) and the fact that a number of websites say it causes dizziness and vomiting. Needless to say, the concoction was thrown in the bin. Better safe than sorry, and I would much rather go to Milan later in the week, than be on a life support machine in the RD&E. Mummy will be most pleased.

Negative #3: Elaine and I thought we'd found some walnuts a few weeks back in the graveyard at Topsham. If they were there a few weeks back, they are certainly not there now. Dammit, I really wanted to make pickled walnuts for Grandad for Christmas (they're his fave). Also found a sweet chestnut tree on the way back from the Bridge Inn (see http://westernweeds.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/rosehips-rowan-berries-and-auntie-nell.html) but someone, (ahem, hubby), wanted to get going so I didn't get to collect some.





Now for the positives of which there have been quite a few!

Positive 1: I have found a new foraging patch on the way back from Topsham, with some more sloes and bullace (coming to the end now, for good I think, but still enough for another bottle of gin) and a load of rosehips.

Positive 2: Also on the way back from Topsham yesterday, I found an overhanging pear tree in one of the gardens that back on the river and using my jumper as a makeshift bag took a number home with me. These have now been turned into Pear Liqueur. I based my recipe on this one (http://www.examiner.com/article/homemade-pear-liqueur-recipe) though I used powdered ginger and cinnamon. The smell is immense. Hubby was a bit confused when I showed him the jar ("do you take the pear out before the jam sets?") but I have put him to rights. This is no jam, but more homebrew for my birthday in January.



Positive 3: Acorn coffee is seriously fit. Made up in a caffetiere with a bit of milk and sugar, it makes a beautifully warming and tasty drink, which is caffeine free!

Positive 4: The cherry liqueur is going very well. Only a week till I can infuse it with cinnamon. Om, nom, nom.

Positive 5: I found a copy of Richard Mabey's Food For Free in the Topsham Bookshop (http://www.topshambookshop.co.uk/) so I can give the hard copy back to the University Library. I can technically have it the rest of the year but its nice to have one's own copy. I also have a new purple coat from Primark and had my helix pierced as a celebration of the fact it is half term! Hooray!



Heading out in a bit for a drink at the Firehouse (http://oldfirehouseexeter.co.uk/) with one of Levi's old colleagues from John's, Henri, who now has a lectureship in the Maths dept. here (Exeter seems to be the happening place!).

Have a great half term! Cathy x

No comments:

Post a Comment