Sunday 3 November 2013

Adventure 12: Milano Baby! (30.10 - 02.11.13)

Hiya Folks!

Where have I been foraging this week? The wilds of North Devon and Cornwall, some windy lane near Topsham or the cliff tops at Budleigh Salterton? Try Milan. Yes, I know you're thinking, Milan, gelato, fashion capital etc. What could you possibly forage in Italy's second city?


Levs and I enjoy a beer by nearby Lake Como with a sign given to us by a very nice man called Norman Cristana who is apparently a fairly important somebody in the music world who took a shine to us (normancristina.com)

Piazza Duomo


Well, I admit it was a bit of a challenge but beyond the beautiful churches and cathedrals of Milan are a number of wide open spaces. It was one of the things that hubby and I were very impressed by. Despite being a bustling working city like Manchester or Birmingham, every few streets was a park full of trees and playgrounds for kids.


Like in Devon at the moment, Milan is awash with rosehips. Their ones are a funny squashed oval shape and light orange.

Milan was also full of these:


 Was not too sure what they were. They look a bit like some kind of acorn but am welcome to suggestions from those better informed than myself.

Though I didn't see any grow wild it was good to see Milan's obsession with chestnuts. Chestnuts in marzipan, chestnuts in chocolate, chestnut jam, roasted chesnuts...  I am still looking for my own here in the UK, but suspect this challenge might have to wait another year.



Chestnut seller by Centrale Station


Chestnut done in chocolate and sweet caramel bought in Como


Chestnut seller near the Duomo

One thing I really respect the Italians for, I must say, is their adherence to fresh local produce. Beautiful cheeses, fine meats, fresh sea food all done simply with olive oil and pasta/panini. There is no need to make things complicated as it is clear that simple tastes good. Even at the mobile sandwich shop on the Piazza Duomo was cutting up the meat fresh... *sigh* 


Lady on the mobile sandwich shop preparing our sandwich


The chef and I at the family restaurant we ate at twice during our stay with its amazing Pizza Diavolo, Cappaccio di Carne, Tagliatelle al Mare, Torta Nonna and Fresh Tiramasu


Halloween Cake!


Fresh pasta! Yummy!


La Gastronomia of our local supermercato 
(my own piece of private heaven which hubby had to keep dragging me away from)


More chestnuts!



And so, I end this post with a homage to beautiful Northern Italian food (which I will be dreaming of for a long time yet I think) and will be back to foraging next week. The Italians have a saying 'Chi lavora mangia. Chi non lavora, mangia, beve e dorme.' I think hubby and I very much bought into this philosophy this half term! Ciao belli!


















No comments:

Post a Comment