Saturday 9 November 2013

Adventure 14: Cats' arses - please pardon my French (09.11.13)

After recovering from a gin filled evening with our dear friend, Alex, down from Cheltenham, we headed off on the train to Totnes. Totnes is frankly my favourite town in the UK and where I want to live when I am grown up and have a mortgage. It has music shops, craft shops, book shops,  good pubs and a castle. What's not to like? We had lunch  at The Albert  (http://www.albertinntotnes.com/) where I  had suet pudding with steak and kidney and we ended up at the welcoming Bay Horse Inn (http://bayhorsetotnes.com/) and had a big chat about compulsory voting (Alex is Australian...). We saw a cool fakir man, some steam punks and a scary woman selling chocolate brownies for four quid and thus had to hide in Oxfam. I finally managed to get my medlars in the graveyard here! Hooray!!!! These are unusual weird fruit from Turkey and the Middle East and were known in medieval times as cats' arses ( which should give you an idea of their appearance!) Will tell you more about them tomorrow when I have more time! I also managed to get hold of another classic 'Eat the Weeds' from the second hand book shop - building my library up slowly! :P


















No comments:

Post a Comment