Saturday 11 January 2014

Adventure 20: A Toad in the Pocket

This week marks my twenty fifth birthday. After a sad start when my schnapps had to be discarded (it smelt like rotten apples) I have successfully decanted FINALLY my cherry and pear liqueurs. The pear one is rather sweet but tasty and the cherry one is quite delicious but packs a massive punch. You've got to admit they look beautiful in their glass decanters.


 On my birthday I was blessfully free of work and took myself for a quiet lunch with my book (Hilary Mantel's The Giant O'Brien) at the old favourite, the Bridge Inn in Topsham. The name of this post refers to the name of the pint I had. It apparently is a phrase meaning 'useless' - I guess like a chocolate teapot. I then decided to explore beyond for a mile or two finding some good potential sloe picking sites for later in the year and a wonderful farm shop with lots of Devonshire beer and local produce. Its called Dart's Farm (http://www.dartsfarm.co.uk/) and outside I managed to make friends with a couple of friendly cows.


\






In the evening, I went to the Exeter Winter Beer Festival with Levi and his lovely colleagues. I drank many awesome local beers but the one that really won me over was 'Snow Leapord' - just like Christmas and Summer at once. Support CAMRA for Real Ale - http://www.camra.org.uk/




Then, today, mercifully lacking a hangover, Levi and I went to Ivybridge where we had a very pleasant lunch at The Sportsman (http://www.thesportsmansinn.co.uk/) and supped the delights of Pride of Dartmoor and Clearwater Darter. Lovely pub and very accomodating staff (pity the town is so far from the station). We then went up on to Dartmoor - my first rough terrain walk since my accident and my! So beautiful! The clean air, beautiful views, the mysterious cairns and standing stones - it really was a delight. A happy end to a great birthday.


























No comments:

Post a Comment