Monday 28 July 2014

Adventure 38: Boredom can look rosy


Pure unadulterated boredom. First week of summer hols and I should be lounging about doing absolutely nothing at all, elegantly sipping gin and tonic and devouring trashy novels. Yes, I had watched three series of mad men. Yes, I had worked my way through some of the gin I made last autumn. However, with Levi at work there still was not enough to do. This is for foraging comes in useful. It gives you the opportunity to go and walk around places you wouldn't normally walk, and find things to make stuff out of. In theory at least. 


It was warm. And I was rather tired. So I explored the alleyways and pathways behind my house, and found what I could find and frankly thought 'Bugger it, I will make something out of whatever there is to be had.'


So first were the nettles. Sitting there insidiously staring up at me just waiting to be picked. Scooping them into my bag and being careful not to be stung I continued down the alley. Next, I came across a house that has been empty for months and over hanging the fence, blocking my path, we're some roses. They  were already going brown in places and I didn't see you sprigs would not be missed. Once home I decided to make and tasty dinner with my stash.

With the Nettles I decided to make nettle, almond, sesame seed and feta orriechette. Then nettles wilted beautifully like spinach and the roasted almonds and the roasted sesame seeds added a very pleasant crunch. The recipe can be found here... http://www.yumsugar.com/Pasta-Nettles-Feta-29731637







As for the rose petals, it was hot so I thought ice cream was the way to do it. It took bloody ages and I had to stir the ice cream every twenty mins to stop the ice crystals forming, but the final result was beautiful vanilla ice cream with subtle rose flavours. Very nice. Recipe can be found here: http://www.bhg.com/recipe/ice-cream/rose-petal-ice-cream/   

Boredom can prove productive after all. 






N.B. I APPRECIATE THAT SOME OF THE PICS ARE WONKY. I'M DOING THIS ON MY IPAD. AND THEREFORE I'M NOT SURE HOW TO SORT OUT THE ALIGNMENT OF PICTURES. I WILL SORT THIS OUT SOON!







No comments:

Post a Comment