Monday 28 July 2014

Adventure 40: City Foraging


So many of you are still reading my blog! Thank you so much for your continued support. However, Some of you have said things like "I couldn't forage cos I live in London" or "you're so lucky to live in the country." So this post is just to briefly show you what I've spotted foraging wise this week whilst at home in Hampton, London. It hasn't been difficult. I've not even gone far from home - just wandering around local  roads and green spaces. Obviously don't nick stuff from people's gardens without asking (!!!) but just to give you an idea of the joys of urban foraging....

1. Apples

They're not ready yet, but have spotted some in my garden and in my local green space by the pantile bridge in Hampton Hill


2. Crab apples

Again far from ready but have spotted some in a garden on my road and in Carlisle Park at the back of my house


3. Bird cherries

Some of these are nearly ready but will be better in early autumn. They are much more bitter than the ones you get in the shops but you can make liqueur out of them. These were by the Pantile Bridge.



4. Elderberries

Again near the Pantile Bridge were I unripe elderberries, which can be picked in the autumn and make into liqueur and cordial.


5. Blackberries

These are all down the side of the road near my house and are busy ripening. Not long now! 


6. Hazelnuts

Found these growing wild at the end of my garden. Not ripe for another month but doing well. I've told my mother to go fetch in September. Though jealous I have spotted some back in Exeter (though not telling you where yet... It's a secret!!!) 



7. Japanese Quince (aka Japonica)

These strange beasts are often found in gardens. The foliage is spiny so people like my parents have used it as part of their hedge. The fruit is not ready yet (it should be orange) and though bitter is used in Asian cooking nd other foragers have had a go at making preserves with them (like here: http://ediblethings.net/2013/01/04/jam-and-japonica/)




8. Plums

These are actually ripe now! Hooray! I've spotted quite a few trees about. Ones near the bus stop and another couple are on Wensleydale Road round the corner from me. 


Luckily I bumped into the owners of one of those trees in their front garden and after explaining about the blog they said I could pick a few to make jam. And oh - how amazing this jam has turned out!!!







It was very easy to make. I weighed my plums and measured out half their weight in sugar. I boiled up the pitted plums with a 1/4 lemon (for pectin) and a cup of water. Then I added the sugar and boiled on a low heat until it started to stick to the sides. I then put it in a sterilised box and my family and I have been munching on it all week. It's truly delicious -sweet but tart.


So, no more excuses city dwellers. Those were only eight of the things I've spotted this week and I've not even got onto weeds and greens. Yes, I've got my eye in now, but it only takes using the eyes god gave you and going for a walk around the block. Let me know what you find!





No comments:

Post a Comment