Sunday 16 March 2014

Adventure 28: A healthy heart and a wet mouth

'Of all the money that 'ere I had,
I spent it in good company,
And all the harm, I ever done, 
I swear twas done to none but me,
And all I've done for want of wit,
To my mind I can't recall,
So fill me to the Parting Glass,
Goodnight and God be with you all!'

- Traditional Irish/Scottish

A typical Wednesday evening after a busy day at work. Friday still seems far away...

In the depths of winter, nowt much grows - sad but true - which has meant that posts over the last few months have had more on beer (because pubs are warm) and less on foraging. This does not mean that I have not been busy behind the scenes, and I am now proud to announce that my home brew collection is now complete and ready to be drunk (party anyone?). After months of tasting, prodding, shaking, swishing and waiting I now have seven (yes, seven!) different types of alcohol available at Bar Roach which I'd like to share! They're all quite different from one another in appearance and taste, but what they all have in common is that they are made from things I've foraged on my walks last autumn, and taste better than things in the supermarket. Please take a moment to read through, and decide which one(s) you think I should consider entering into the Fat Pig's Home Brew competition next month. 

FRUIT LIQUEURS

Pear Liqueur

Made from: Sugar, Wild Pears picked in Topsham, ginger, cinnamon, vodka
Appearance: light golden with bubbles
Smell: like Pear drops
Taste: very sweet and pear droppy, can't really taste the vodka at all



Cherry Liqueur

Made from: American Black Cherries picked in Exeter University's Botanical Garden, sugar, cinnamon sticks and vodka
Appearance: dark purple/black, gloopy
Smell: cherry medicine
Taste: got a kick to it, rich, bittersweet version of creme de cassis



HAWTHORN PRODUCE

Hawthorn Schnapps

Made from: Haws and vodka
Appearance: murky brown (N.B. supposed to be medicinal)
Smell: fresh, woody
Taste: earthy



ROSEHIP PRODUCE

Rosehip Brandy Liqueur

Made from: Rosehips, brown sugar, cloves, cinnamon and brandy
Appearance: reddy brown
Smell: Christmassy
Taste: sweet, rich, like Lebkuchen



Rosehip Schnapps

Made from: Rosehips and vodka
Appearance: golden red
Smell: fruity
Taste: tangy fruity vodka



SLOE PRODUCE

Sloe Sherry

Made from: Gin infused sloes, sugar, sweet sherry 
Appearance: deep brown
Smell: sweet
Taste: sherry with a bitter fruity kick



Bullace Gin 
(here mixed with tonic)

Made from: Bullace, sugar, gin
Appearance: pink
Smell: sweet and expressive
Taste: sweet but tart




On a last note, I would like to congratulate my friend, Nolita, on the safe arrival of baby Noah, and my best friend (her sister) Rebecca on becoming an auntie for the first time (boy, that little maneen is going to get spoilt). Happy St. Patrick's Day tomorrow to all of you - I don't think Levi and I will be short of booze at any rate. 


Seo sláinte an tséitéara, an ghadaí, an trodaí, agus an óltóra!
Má dhéanann tu séitéireacht, go ndéana tú séitéireacht ar an mbás,
Má ghoideann tú, go ngoide tú croí mná;
Má throideann tú, go dtroide tú i leith do bhráthar,
Agus má ólann tú, go n-óla tú liom féin.



If you cheat, may you cheat death.
If you steal, may you steal a woman's heart.
If you fight, may you fight for a brother.
And if you drink, may you drink with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment