Thursday 19 December 2013

Aaar, there be vikings... and presents!

Finally! I have finished teaching for the year. Can't believe how fast time has gone. I'm hoping to get round in the next few days to getting up my latest foraging post but thought I would share some goodies that I received this week from my lovely friend Anna in Iceland and one of my mother-in-laws, the lovely Elena. 


So, Anna first. Anna is my adopted college daughter (if you know the Cambridge University system, you will know what I'm going on about, its basically like a buddy system for new students). We both studied Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic (http://www.asnc.cam.ac.uk/) and are very fond of pubs, chocolate and irresponsible shenanigans. Anna now lives in Iceland where she works with special needs children, is improving her Icelandic and allegedly on the look out for a nice Viking Farmer Man to whisk her off in to the Brennivín soaked sunset (for more info on this Icelandic version of poitín and other Icelandic drinks please see here http://www.isholf.is/gullis/jo/beverages.htm). On my way out to volunteer work the other day I was surprised with a lovely parcel full of Icelandic goodies including kelp salt, volcanic ash soap and the world's most amazing Old Norse inspired tea towel. So I would like to thank the lovely Anna (who I know reads this blog! Hooray!) and wish you a very Merry Christmas! Gleðileg jól og takk!




And now for the lovely Romanian gifts. One set of my in-laws live in Kigali, Rwanda now, but until recently were based in Bucharest, Romania. Elena, my father-in-law's wife, is back there now for Christmas and has sent Levi and I some beautiful Romanian iced biscuits (Turta dulce) which are traditionally used as decorations before being eaten. They are seriously pretty. So mulțumesc, my lovely Elena and wishing you a great Christmas too! Crăciun fericit!




No comments:

Post a Comment